Holy Trinity Church death records, 1818-1867

Dublin Core

Title

Holy Trinity Church death records, 1818-1867

Subject

Cemeteries
Burial Records
Slavery
Georgetown College

Description

Burial records for Holy Trinity Church include the names of enslaved and free people of color in the 19th century. Two people presumed to be slaves of Georgetown are listed in the records: 1) p. 63: Rachel, October 22, 1821 2) p. 104: Charles, January 3, 1832

Charles and Rachel were both buried in the "College Ground," which was located at what is today the Georgetown University campus on or near the site of the Reiss Science Building. According to historian Carlton Fletcher, the College Ground was used for burials by Holy Trinity from 1818 to 1833, when the church began to use Holy Rood Cemetery.

The College Ground was built over in 1953 and the remains of roughly fifty people that were discovered at that time were reinterred at Mount Olivet Cemetery, but those remains were only a small fraction of all the people who were buried there.

Creator

Holy Trinity Church

Publisher

Georgetown Slavery Archive

Date

1818-1867

Contributor

Adam Rothman, Elsa Barraza Mendoza, Claire Healy, Cory Young. Information drawn with permission from Carlton Fletcher, "Holy Rood Cemetery," Glover Park History. Thanks to Carlton Fletcher for bringing this information to our attention.

Rights

Georgetown University Library.

Format

PDF

Language

English

Type

Burial record

Identifier

GSA90

Text Item Type Metadata

Text

[Rachel]

[October 1821] 22d

Rachel a cold Woman of the College Wash house who died the 21st inst

 

[Charles]

1832

January 3 Charles – black – servant of the College -



Original Format

Manuscript

Files

Citation

Holy Trinity Church, “Holy Trinity Church death records, 1818-1867,” Georgetown Slavery Archive, accessed July 28, 2017, http://slaveryarchive.georgetown.edu/items/show/98.

Geolocation