Fr. McElroy, the parish priest of Holy Trinity Church at Georgetown, recorded the death and burial of Suckey, an enslaved woman owned by Mr. Key. Fr. McElroy noted that around 400 people attended her funeral.
This 1905 map was prepared by Joseph Zwinge, SJ with information from old patents, deeds, and surveys of the Jesuit plantation of St. Thomas Manor. It includes old structures such as Fr. Hunter's House and "tenant houses or negro huts."
A contract with the overseer at St. Inigoes plantation for 1743 and 1744. In addition to spelling out the terms of John Pavat's service, the contract makes allowances for two enslaved people by name, "old Jenny" and Matthew.
The back cover of an almanac owned by Fr. Arnold Livers lists twenty enslaved people who were probably part of the community at St. Inigoes. Three married couples are listed.
Fr. Livers was in charge of St. Inigoes from 1760 to 1767.
In 1804, the Rev. John Ashton asked the Corporation of Roman Catholic Clergy to pay his legal fees from suits "carried on by him whilst he was manager of the estate of the White Marsh." The Corporation decided to pay for these fees, with the…
In a meeting held at the White Marsh plantation, the Corporation of Roman Catholic Clergy attempted to regulate the sale of slaves on their plantations by empowering plantation managers to exchange slaves in the case of intermarriage and to sell or…
At a meeting held at Georgetown College in 1813, the members of the Corporation of Roman Catholic Clergy decided to sell two "black servants" to the Rev. Bitouzey, a member of the secular clergy, who was in charge of White Marsh until his resignation…
At a meeting held at Georgetown College on September 14, 1813, the Corporation of Roman Catholic Clergymen instructed its agent to provide the Rev. Malavé with an enslaved man.
Fr. Malavé was a Belgian Jesuit who came to live at Georgetown…
In this letter from 1814, Fr. Francis Neale, describes his difficulties arranging marriages for Enoch, Charles, and Nelly, three enslaved persons owned by the Jesuits in St. Inigoes, their farm in St. Marys County, MD.